Tuesday, June 26, 2012

What's Wrong with White Pride?

What's Wrong with White Pride?  By: M. Breeze Being an 6 foot 4 inch tattoo riddled African American man whose motto is "what I need a shirt for" I don't see the problem with being proud of who you are.  But in this country being ethno-centric is considered a problem. While I agree that believing that your race is better than another's is ludacris, what's wrong with believing in your self and trying to preserve your race? I'll be the first to admit that the black race is a long way from where we need to be. Some of it comes from the lack of opportunities that we were given, but most of it is simply our own fault.  I often hear my people saying that the "white man" is holding them back. They can't get a good job because of their lack of education.  I hear that white kids get better schooling than inner city blacks and that may be true but what is stopping you as a parent from moving your kids to those same schools so that they have a better opportunity? When will we accept the responsibilities that come along with being a human being? Quit blaming your problems on white people and take care of your business.  Let's look at my life in brief and how the odds were stacked against me. I was born in Louisiana in the early 80s and was raised during the crack epidemic. Born in a poor section surrounded by brokenness I often ran the streets trying to  make a easy dollar while trying to survive at the same time.  Not once was I taught to value another black persons life. Instead I was taught to bust a nigga head if someone ever tried me.  Where was the Black Pride that dominated the 60s and 70s? Where were our leaders, who did we have to look up too? Since we didn't have a Barack Obama and other leaders such as Reverends Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson were considered timid by the younger generation we often looked up to the only role models we see.....drug dealers. Even in high school I really wanted to attend college but a football injury ended my chances of a scholarship, which many black males, including myself, viewed as the only way to go to college. Being a smart young man I enlisted in the Military a few months before 9/11 knowing that the military would pay for my college. To make a long story short I'll be graduating in 4 months with my Bachelors degree in Human Resources.  You have to take control of your own destiny regardless of what others will think of you. Taking charge of your life allows you to pin your failures or success on yourself and no one else. When you succeed, succeed hard and when you fail, fail forward learn from your mistakes and keep your head up.  If you look at how white people raise their kids we can see that we raise our kids differently. We don't believe the same things and we each teach our kids differently. White kids are taught at an early age that they are smart, special and beautiful. How many black men have heard that they won't amount to shit, just like their fathers? How many black mothers are stressed out with the outcome of their lives and take it out on their kids? How many black parents teach their kids that being black is beautiful and that they can be whatever they put their minds to? So the next time you hear a white person hold a sign that says white power don't hate that person just recognize his boldness and try to install some sense of pride about your self! Be proud that you are a black person and take pride in your race. Do what you can to help others to reach their goals. What happened to your "Black Pride"? Where did it go? Play the hand that you were dealt and don't let em see you sweat! Keep your poker face on and lets get it!$

No comments:

Post a Comment