Sunday, January 1, 2012

Up And Coming Rapper: Da Christian Wit Swagga

The Christian With Swagga
By: M. Breeze
After searching and searching for a rapper that spoke their mind and speaking for what they believe in it's hard to not recognize what Atlanta Christian rapper Cswagga is doing. He walks it like he talks it, and lives the life that he raps about. I mean that's the qualities we look for in a rapper anyway right? Coming from a city that's well known for the dope game, strip clubs, murderers, and extravagant lifestlye it's good to see one brother still has he head screwed on straight. Word on the street got the chance to catch up with Cswagga and let him tell you what he has been up too.

M. Breeze: What made you decide to become a Christian Rapper? Give us an example of what motivates you.

Rico Cswagga Reese: Being from Atlanta, I have always loved listening to music which led me to play around with making beats and free styling. After I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior in 2002 I had to switch my style of music. I didn't realize that Christian rap was big at the time until I did some research on it. I thought I was doing something no else was doing (laughs).

M. Breeze: I mean in a way you are. Your flow is 100% hip hop your beats make you want to bounce around the club. But when you listen to the lyrics it's obvious that you are the hip hop voice for the Lord! How does that feel?

Rico Cswagga Reese: I guess you kind of right about that. Before I started doing Christian rap, I decided that I was going to go harder than secular artist because I felt like people didn't and don't give Christian artist a chance because there are a lot of lame Christian rap out there, just being honest. I try to use similar sounding beats as rappers today but at the same time bring power and truth within my lyrics.

M. Breeze: I've always felt that a lot of christian rappers were scared about being too "hip hop" and being judged by the people who know them. You apparently don't have that problem. You represent the everyday Christian, dreadlocks, listens to rap, cool car, you seem like an everyday type of brother.

Rico Cswagga Reese: That's what its all about right? I mean I haven't always been a Christian so I know what it feels like to be on the other side. My goal and purpose of my music is to display to non-believers and believers that it doesn't matter what you look like, what you drive, or where you from but what matter is having a relationship with God. I'm no different from everyone else just a guy that Loves God and isn't scared to show it. That's why I go by Da Christian Wit Swagga.

M. Breeze: So how did this name C-Swagga come about. That's a bold name my man. Tell us about the name.

RicoCswagga Reese: Its a funny story on how it started. Its actually started from Myspace.com site. Everyone would make up cool and creativity titles for their page like "Mr. Get Money", "Chocolate Honey", haha you know what saying (laughs). So I wanted to show everyone that I was a cool Christian. During this time the word swagg or swagga wasn't used as much as it is used now. I decide I would put "Da Christian Wit Swagga" on my page to say to everyone that Im a Christian that is a little different from the rest. I had this name before I got official with Christian rap. Before this name I would go by R2, which stood for my name Rico Reese. Da Christian Wit Swagga just sound a lot better than R2.

M. Breeze: Tell us about your ministry. What are you trying to accomplish?

Rico Cswagga Reese: The ministry is a music ministry but through it I have a vision to reach people on a national level. Our ministry which called Christian Swagga Ministries represents being bold and unashame of the name Jesus Christ. The term “Swagga” used in the ministry title means boasting ONLY in the Lord and not in ones self. Christian Swagga Ministries presents ourselves in a way that draw others to want to know the God we serve.

M. Breeze: Are there any more Christian Rappers who you would like to give a shout out to?
Rico Cswagga Reese: Oh yeah! Its so many but let me name some folks that has helped me along the way. I want to give a shout out to DJ Network, he invited me to a show which was my first performance. Also shout out to Marc Griffin, Threat, G-Status, Tommy D, and club 316 for the start. Also shout to all the ministry members, my brother ATL Hitman, April, my mother, Elonda, and everyone who has supported the ministry.                                                                                                            

We appreciate Cswagga for taking the time to sit down and do this interview today. You have to respect what the man is doing and what he stands for. In a way the kid is a breath of fresh air. Use your gift my dude and keep being a gangsta for the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment